Thursday, August 25, 2011

Broiling Hot

No foreseeable change in the weather coming.  Sigh.  I know that some day it will rain again.  We've had bad droughts and heatwaves before and we survived and we will survive this one.

Not much to write about, really.  We spent a lot of money last week on vacation but it sure was fun.  We went to thrift shops and antique stores and just drove around a little.  Driving around is more fun when the grass is green and the weather is cool.  That will come again someday.  I had my hair cut last week and it's way too short, I don't like it.  Bill likes it, but I don't.  I am gonna let it grow out a little.  I would like to have shoulder length hair again but I don't know if I can leave it alone that long.  We'll see.

I started a pillow quilt a couple of years ago and then quit for a long time because my hands hurt.  Well, I decided to get it out and work on it some more.  When the hands start hurting I'll stop and rest them.  Just falling apart, what can I say.

Last week we went to Wichita Falls.  As we crossed the Red River we could see that it was bone dry.  I've never seen it completely dry before.  There's usually a little water in it but not this time.  Actually, I did see a little puddle over against the bank.  In Wichita Falls we went to a nature conservatory.  It was really interesting, we had never been there before.  It would have been nicer if it was green, but it was still good anyway.  I got lots of interesting photos.  The falls of Wichita Falls are still falling.  Of course the water is pumped in but hey, who's complaining.   The rest of the photos were taken at the nature place.  All native to Oklahoma and North Texas.  Well the last critter isn't really a native but he had some interesting pictures painted on him.  The picture of the quail is a little fuzzy because he wouldn't hold still.







 















I've got two more colored pencil drawings to show off here.  Not that very many people come here anyway.  I have some followers but I don't think they follow very closely.  But then I don't post very often either.  The first drawing is of my sister-in-law.  It's based on a photo taken over 30 years ago.  The second is based on a photo that I took a couple years ago.  Back in the winter when we had some snow.  As usual the pictures look better in person than they do here.



3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

If its any consolation, I'm falling apart myself. Misery loves company? LOLOL Yes indeed, your state has known more than its fair share of drought indeed. I hope it cools off and drops water soon for all of you. It is horrifically hot here too, at least in my mind. I so long for autumn, winter, spring days. We could skip summer every year and I'd be happy. I should have stayed in Washington.

Shawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liliana said...

I follow closely. I apologize that you can't see me and that I don't comment very often. Today's is a delightful post. I also admit I read it last night but didn't respond then. I sure laughed where you said you're falling apart! Haha! Meeee tooooo. Every morning, every single morning I have an ache in my leg. Sciatica I suspect. It mostly goes away during the day. My hands ache occasionally, but less than they used to. It's always something.

I'm glad you had such a nice vacay! I miss driving. Actually, I'm the passenger, but I miss traveling.

So dry here although we got some rain last night! It's a little green here but we've had nothing of the monsoons like last year. We're sick and tired of heat. Every day, every day the same.

The new photo in your header is cool. It's one of those kind that look like scenery, but it's actually a small ledge of water, eh? Either that or that's some ginormous grass. :)

What an interesting frog. I've never seen such a frog before. Gribbit! And I love quail.

I like those artsy horses. You know they sell small ones at gift stores with all sorts of different painting on them. I know someone who collects them.

The landscape drawing is beautiful. Both are great. If I could draw like you I'd hang that one up. How peaceful it looks. How satisfying it must be to sit down, draw, and end up with a drawings you can show off.

Have a splendid day today, my friend!