Saturday, September 10, 2011

Relief

The weather cooled off and they finally got the fires put out.  It took several days and about 55 square miles were burned but no one was killed or seriously injured.  We went out there the other day and took a few pictures but most of the roads were closed because at that time the fire wasn't completely out.  I've heard that fire is actually good for the soil but now we need some rain so things can start growing back. 

We went to visit Bill's parents today.  His dad has Alzheimer's and when we drove up he was headed down the street on foot with his dogs wandering around.  I'm glad we went over there.  There is no telling where he would have ended up.  He keeps letting the dogs out the front door, some day they are going to get run over.  Their street is pretty busy and city buses go down it regularly.  Bill's mom was asleep and had no idea where his dad was.  He's getting worse but then people with Alzheimer's don't get better.  It was sad.

I went to a Ladies Fellowship at the church the other night.  It's called Secret Sisters.  We put our names and info (likes and dislikes) into a bag and draw names.  Then all year we'll pray for each other, give each other gifts and cards on special occasions.  Then at the end of the year we'll find out who our Secret Sister was.  This group has been around for several years but this is the first time that I have participated.  I think it will be fun. 

I finished another oil pastel and a colored pencil.  I haven't taken a photo of the colored pencil yet.

Photos of the day, a few that I took of the fire, from a long distance away and the oil pastel.  The oil pastel was based of a photo that I took of Lake Lawtonka several years ago.




1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Gorgeous lake and setting, Kathy! So glad no one was harmed in the fires and I've also read that fire will imbue necessary nutrients into the soil. I hope that is true, at least. Glad the temps have dropped for you guys. They have here as well, but still hitting low 80's during the days. Still too hot for me. I am so sorry to hear about Bill's dad.