Well actually yesterday was the first day of Autumn but you couldn't tell it by the temperatures. It was in the lower 90's today. Supposed to cool off tomorrow though. We had some nice rain off and on over the last few days. Not enough to break the drought but enough to keep some plants alive and lower the fire danger somewhat.
Today the International Festival was held in the park. They do this every September. It's pretty interesting, lots of food, crafts and entertainment. We ate Korean food, did not buy any crafts, too expensive and watched some belly dancers. We were too late for the bagpipes. I would really liked to have heard them. We saw several guys walking around in kilts. I assume they were the ones playing the bagpipes. We don't see guys wearing skirts around here for any other reason.
We haven't been out on the Refuge since it's been raining. I have heard that the grass is starting to grow in the burned areas. Hopefully the trees will come back too. I heard that the fire was caused by a spark from a welder. He didn't have water or a fire extinguisher nearby like he was supposed to. He's in a lot of trouble. 11 homes were lost in the fire. No deaths or injuries of people but one animal, an elk died as a result of the fire.
I finally took a picture of the zebra drawing and I finished another drawing of a giraffe. The zebra is based on a photo that I took several years ago at the Arbuckle wilderness. I changed the background. In the photo there was a big fence and I wanted it to look like the zebra was wild and free. The giraffe is based on a photo in a magazine. I would really like to do a painting but I have a feeling that my paints are a little old. I used them to paint signs for the church clothes closet and they did seem like they were trying to dry out. I think I'll do an oil pastel next.
I baked a dessert from a recipe in a Bisquick book that I have. Apples and cinnamon, good stuff, makes me think of fall.
Photos of the day, my two latest colored pencil drawings. I think you can tell which one is the zebra and which is the giraffe.
5 comments:
Love them both but that giraffe has my heart!! You are such an amazing drawer!
I just discovered something. You can click on my pictures and get an enlarged version. How cool!
I love your pictures! I guess I'm a sucker for the animal ones; both of these are just beautiful.
I hope you get some cool weather soon. It's cooling off here and it's a relief for sure. The chickens aren't panting anymore! :)
LOL Yep. I'm going to miss blogger but a nasty comment from an LHCer that came out of the blue has made my decision the right one for me. If you want to read the new blog, email me (if you have the address) and I'll give you the new blog address. I hate to do it but I don't want her reading my blog or commenting and it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
AutumnLeaves, I don't have your email address but I would like to read your new blog.
Post a Comment