We drove out to the Refuge today and there was a grass fire on the side of the road, very scary. I think they got it put out pretty quickly though because the wind is not blowing really hard and I didn't see any smoke coming from the area when I looked back later. There is grass growing back in the burned areas on the Refuge but the trees don't look so good. Maybe they will come back next year when they get some rain. We picked up a few rocks to put at the front of our house. The stray cats in the neighborhood have been using that area for their litter box. Only they haven't bothered to bury their poop. It could be because the ground is so hard. Anyway the rocks and a few other things that we put out there look pretty nice. We tried to more or less landscape it. Hopefully this will work and the cats will move on.
Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Since I'm not a mother it really doesn't mean much to me. However, Bill and I did send cards to our mothers. Gifts are too expensive especially considering they both have just about everything under the sun and finding a gift is very difficult.
We're on vacation next week, we get 4 weeks vacation every year and we try to plan one every 3 months. We can't really go anywhere so at the most we might make a few short road trips. In spite of the gas prices. There are several things around the house that need to be done too.
Last Thursday we went out the the Refuge and I got a few new photos to post here. The first 2 are hummingbirds. They actually do sit still for brief periods of time. The 3rd one is an unusual flower and the last one is someone's pet raccoon.
Nature is a part of our humanity, and without some awareness and experience of that divine mystery, man ceases to be man.
-Henry Beston




2 comments:
As always, I love the photos, Kathy. The heat, however, please no! And that is the very reason why summer is my least favorite season; just too danged hot for me. Hope you and Bill enjoy your vacation and enjoy the little getaways. I love hitting the road and we haven't done much of that since before Michael lost his job last year. Now gas is just too expensive, so that is on hold, at least for the time being.
It suddenly got hot here too! Not as hot as there (near 90 today) but hotter than it should be this time of the year. And it's humid. I'd been working outside in such beautiful weather and now I want to stay inside again. But you're probably right... it's just natural weather patterns doing what they do.
Enjoy your vacation! :)
Post a Comment