Saturday, January 14, 2012

Allergies

Why do allergies have to be so bad in the winter?  I thought they should be a springtime thing but not for me.  I think it's the cedar and/or juniper that is wiping me out. 

We have been attending a group called Celebrate Recovery.  It's for people who want to overcome their hurts, hangups and habits.  Most are in the process of overcoming drugs, alcohol and smoking.  There are a lot of other problems too like addiction to pornography, food addiction, co-dependance, financial problems and so on.  I originally starting going to support Bill while he worked on his problems but while I was there the Lord revealed to me things that I need to work on too.  This is a faith based program by the way.  I have a lot of trouble with anxiety.  I was pretty much raised that way.  That's the way my mother and grandmother were.  I had problems with anger too.  Working through the lessons has helped me a lot with these issues.  Last night I made a commitment before the group to give up soft drinks.  The Lord has been working on this issue for a long time.  I drink way too much of both kinds the sweetened and the sugar free.  They are really unhealthy stuff so once again I'm giving them up.  Permanently this time.  I'm not going to tell other people to quit drinking them, Bill still does, that's their business.  It's just something that I need to let go of. 

The weather was gorgeous today but we didn't go anywhere.  We did walk around the neighborhood.  I was able to persuade Bill to come with Sassy and me.  I used to walk all over the neighborhood but lately there have been several large dogs running loose and I'm tired of being attacked.  Actually they aren't coming after me but after Sassy.  Nevertheless it's illegal to let your dog run loose.  The manager of the park has talked to these people over and over.  Some listen, others don't.  During this walk we were bothered only once by a large brown dog.  Bill shot it with this gun that we have that shoots a yellow plastic bead.  It stings but doesn't do any damage.  It's the first time we used it and it was effective.  The dog did back off.  It's still not supposed to be running around loose.  The owner has been warned several times.  I guess she just doesn't care.  I'm afraid someday the dog will bite a child. 

I decided not to post a photo of the oil pastel of a flower that I did recently.  It doesn't look very good even though I enjoyed doing it.  Right now I'm working on another oil pastel of a tree in the water that is turning out really well so far. 

Photo of the day, we went out a couple of weeks ago to Altus and found this really neat sculpture of an Indian in a park.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for giving up the pop, K. I know that is a hard one for some people. I don't drink it often, only when we go out to eat at McD's or other burger joint. If we bring it home, I just drink iced green tea. Making a commitment in front of a group is tough thing to do because you are held more accountable, not to mention the embarrassment factor of revealing something of yourself to others. Good for you and may God grant you the strength to stick to your commitment!

Jules said...

Sorry about the allergies. It's summer here and mine are bad. I think it's the silver birch trees. Sigh. They're so pretty but they're probably going to have to go. Hope you feel better soon.

April said...

I think we all have issues to work on - as none of us is perfect. I do hope you can kick the soda habit; it's a tough one for some people. If my husband can do it, I know you can too! :)

And best of luck with dealing with anxiety; that's a tough one since there are so many worries in the world to think about and fret upon. I hope the group helps you with all you want to work on; I think it helps knowing others are going through similar (even if different) struggles.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry about your allergies :(. I know how fun that isn't. My mom has a harder time in winter because of the furnace being on, and because the dryness of the air. We don't have the outside allergies in winter like you have. That would be hard.

Your support group sounds like it has been a really positive thing! I hope that you will learn ways to help with the anxiety.