We didn't have to work today because of the holiday so we took a little road trip. I decided this time to take photos of the main streets of some of the towns that we passed through. It was very interesting. Some of the main streets were thriving and some were dying or dead. It was sad to see those beautiful old buildings go to ruin.
We started out by eating breakfast at IHOP then we got Sassy and took off. The first place we stopped was a small town called Faxon southwest of Lawton. They didn't really have a business district, at least not one that was still alive. There was a little convenience store on the highway but that was about all. In this first photo we have a view of what I would call their main street. There's an old abandoned store and First Baptist church. The second photo is a close up of the store and the third photo is or was a hotel that was popular back in the 1920's and 30's.
The next town is Chattanooga. It's bigger than Faxon but still not much of a main street. A convenience store and a restaurant surrounded by more empty buildings. I only took one photo. There wasn't much to see.
Next is a town called Grandfield. Their main street was pretty much abandoned. Their business district was along the highway that passed through town. They had some really interesting buildings even if they were run down.
This is a beautiful mosaic title that was in the entrance of one of the stores.
I thought the street lights were beautiful too.
There was 2 metal sculptures of butterflies which are actually benches and a cowboy on a horse.
This is an interesting detail that was on one of the buildings.
Unfortunately this is what was inside one of the buildings.
The next town is called Davidson. There wasn't much to it either.
The next town is called Frederick. It's a big city compared to the previous ones. We had lunch in a Chinese food place there. It's main street looked pretty healthy. Unfortunately this city hall building was abandoned.
This beautiful mosaic title floor was in the entrance of the city hall.
This is a view down the sidewalk from the city hall.
The next town is called Tipton. It was bigger than I expected. The next two photos are from there.
The next town is called Manitou. It was so small I couldn't find anything that I could call a main street. It consisted mostly of a few houses, the post office, a juvenile detention center and this neat old building.
Next is the town of Snyder. The first photo is what used to be the bank. It's a funeral home now. In the second photo one of the buildings says it's the city hall, founded in 1930. Snyder isn't very old.
Last but certainly not least is the city of Altus. They put a lot of effort into renovating their main street. Most of the shops are occupied and in good shape.
He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life.
1 John 5:12-13



























5 comments:
What a fabulous day trip! I love old towns and old buildings. The mosaic tiling is indeed beautiful and something you don't see anymore, alas. Some of those streets truly make me think of the old west.
Neat pictures!
I especially like the one of the city jail. It looks like it would be on the set of a very old movie or television program.
I love old buildings. It's really sad that so many of the buildings are abandoned. Time marches on I guess.
I've been through these small ghost towns and its a shame that they're just drying up.
I loved all of your pictures! What an interesting trip that must have been. I bet some of those towns have some really interesting history.
A couple of those pictures reminded me of a town where they filmed the movie, "The Last Picture Show". I really enjoyed seeing where you went on your day drive; that would have been a lot of fun.
Post a Comment