Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's Melting

The snow, not the witch that the kid threw the water on.  I wonder if witches really do melt if you throw water on them.  I don't know any so I can't test that theory.  The snow however, is going away nicely.  Snow is very pretty for a short period of time.  Then they put salt and sand on it and scrape it to the side of the road.  It turns into a brown, hideous mess.  Definitely time for it to go away.  

As usual I thought of all kinds of things to say here earlier today and now I can't remember them.  I'll just have to wing it.  I did two oil pastels but I'm now happy enough with them to show them here.  I've looked at oil pastel pictures on the Internet that are gorgeous.  They look like oil paintings.  There are certain techniques for working with oil pastels and right now I don't know what they are.  I have a book but it's not a lot of help.  Hastings has very few really good art instruction books.  Unless you want to learn how to draw that cartoon stuff.  Not my cup of tea.  I'll probably have to search the 'Net for the book I want.  I think my next project will be in colored pencil.  It will be based on a photo that I tore out of a National Geographic magazine.  I have a bunch of photos that I took that I'm going to use for inspiration but I like to get ideas from magazines too.  I wouldn't be able to do that if I sold my work because I would be stealing the work (photo) of someone else.  But, my stuff's not good enough to sell so I don't worry about it.  It's all for fun anyway.  Hobby Lobby has a box of colored pencils, oodles of them for about $150.  Sigh.  Maybe someday.  I'd like to get a bigger selection of oil pastels too.  One can dream.

Several important things needed to fixed on the car.  Any one of which could have caused a serious accident if we had been out on the road.  The Lord takes care of the ignorant.  Now that we're all fixed up I feel more confident about going out.  Wish we could take a ride today, the weather is wonderful.

Photo of the day, another rerun.  But, I like reruns.  I just remembered something.  This building, which is in Frederick was empty when I took this photo.  I read in today's paper that their police department are going to move into it by the end of February.  I'm glad that such a beautiful building is going to be used once again.

















And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude and as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty peals of thunder, saying, Hallelujah!  For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns.
Revelation 19:6

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

So glad the popo are moving into this lovely building and I think it is more than fitting. I'm not sure why you don't think your work is good enough to sell because I sure think it is. Your drawing skills are honed well. Many mediums to choose from too. Check out Wet Canvas. They have forums for each medium you can think of. I believe Tatiana Myers (link on my side bar somewhere) works in oil pastels. Amazing what you can do with them! There are often tutorials on you tube too. Have fun looking!