Saturday, July 30, 2011

Blazing Hot

Actually today was a tad cooler, only about 101.  By Tuesday it's supposed to get 109.  We had our AC checked out today.  Some part was melted and will be replaced.  Possibly a short in a wire.  It's running OK and will make it through the weekend.  We were told that the unit is not a very good one.  They put the cheapest units that they can in mobile homes.  It's held up for 10 years though so we can't complain.  It'll have to be replaced in a couple of years.  $6,000 or 7,000 worth.  We may have to live with a couple of window units until we can afford that high price.  My brother said that he would help us out.  We're not going to replace the unit until we have to though.

I finished an oil pastel the other day and I really like the way it turned out.  It's based on a photo that I took over 20 years ago of the creek at Falls Creek near Davis, Oklahoma.  I'll post a photo of it here eventually.  It's hanging in my bedroom.  My birthday was last Tuesday and I ordered some colored pencils online.  I found a good site that had oodles of them for about half the price that Hobby Lobby charges.  I already have all that Hobby Lobby has.  I'm working on a colored pencil drawing of some flowers based on a photo in a book.  I wish I had my new pencils, I could use some of those colors with these flowers.  Bill wants me to do some drawings of kinfolk.  I think that will be my next project after the flowers. 

I've been gluten free for about three weeks now.  I've been as strict as possible but I got a hold of some gluten anyway and I had diarrhea the last couple of days.  The only thing unusual that I had was some spices that I put on some chicken.  I have read that some spice companies use flour in their stuff.  I believe it.  Bill will have to finish the chicken stuff, I don't want anymore.

I need a haircut, my bangs are starting to get into my eyes.  It'll have to wait until next week though, out of funds right now.  We're going to have to save as much as possible if we want to be able to replace the AC unit when it goes out.

We haven't been doing any riding around or picture taking in quite a while.  So the photo of the day will probably be a repeat.  This photo was taken a few years ago from the top of Mt. Scott.  That's Elmer Thomas Lake in the background.

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

So sorry to hear of your stomach woes, my friend. Can't wait to see your colored pencil pieces and I am so happy you were able to treat yourself to new pencils! Happy belated birthday!!!

April said...

Do ya'll have humidity there? It's been in the lower 90s here but the humidity makes is seem hotter - and it's miserable. Our little cabin has a whole house air-conditioning unit, but it can't handle the job, so we had to add a window unit in the kitchen and one upstairs in our bedroom too. They make the place comfortable and aren't too expensive so if you have to go that route, it'll probably be fine.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :) I hope you had a real nice one and will enjoy your new colored pencils.

I hate how there is gluten in foods where they're shouldn't be any! They make it very difficult for those of us who either want or need to avoid it. I hope you feel better now.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, that is a lot of money for an a/c unit! I hope it holds out for you until summer is over!

Staying gluten free is hard. My dd keeps cheating, and ends up hurting later. I wish the gluten foods didn't taste good!

SchnauzerMom said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. My stomach is a lot better now. Yes, April we have a lot of humidity. Not doing us any good though.