Saturday, July 2, 2011

No Fireworks

We're under a burn ban.  No individual fireworks and no community fireworks either.  The grass is way too dry, the least little spark will start a fire.  Just a week ago we nearly lost my favorite little town, Medicine Park to a big fire.  It started on Fort Sill and burned over the east side of Medicine Park.  I think about 12 or 13 homes were destroyed.  It burned over the mountain and down to the edge of Lake Lawtonka.  Fortunately the main part of the town was spared.  All the shops and the old homes survived.  Still it was a very close call.

We had the day off today so we drove around a little.  We went to the once a month flea market in Marlow.  My brother and a friend of his go there almost every month and sell stuff.  Most of the stuff belongs to Kenneth's friend.  Kenneth just helps him sell.  They seem to really enjoy it.  There weren't very many vendors there, probably because of the intense heat.  We drove from there to Rush Springs, Sterling, Elgin and then cut across by Lake Ellsworth and ended up by Lake Lawtonka.  We took a tour through Medicine Park and then we took Sassy back home.  We had lunch at our favorite little cafe, Leo's Country Cafe, good home cookin'. 

Photos of the day, some of the damage from the fire.  The first photo is what's left of some mobile homes.  The heat must have been really intense because glass and metal melted.  Nothing left but wreckage.  The second one is on the side of the mountain near the lake.  Looks like a moonscape.  All barren.  I don't know if the trees will come back out next year or not. 


1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

Fire is so devastating, isn't it? I hate fireworks (and oddly enough, loved them when I was little). It is the noise. I hate the noise and I remember hating even that when I was little too. As I got older, the noise irritation overtook the pretty light show for me. Smart not to allow them when even a spark can set off a grass fire that can grow and consume. You've made me want to get in the car and just go for a ride. We've done that numerous times but not of late. Gas prices kill us, alas.