Friday, July 17, 2009

Cooler

Still warm but in the 80's instead of the 100's. We didn't get a drop of rain though. Maybe later tonight.

I've been avoiding sweet sorghum. I tossed out the yellow cake I made the other day. It was pretty bad. I was trying to convert a cake recipe to gluten free. I got out the gluten free cookbook which I said earlier that I didn't like and gave it another chance. I made a chocolate cake from it and it turned out great! I've been reading the Gluten Free Girl by Shauna James Ahern and it's been really helpful. It's not really a cookbook although there are a few recipes in it. It's mostly about how she found out she had celiac disease and how she has dealt with it. I don't know if I have celiac or not but I'm definitely gluten intolerant. I got the book from the library and I think I'll go to the bookstore and get them to order a copy for me. It's the type of book that I would read more than once. She's also inspired me to try more fresh vegetables. I've never had artichoke so I got one the other day and it was pretty good. You don't get much from one though. I think I'll just get artichoke hearts next time, get more that way.

Two other books that I got from the library are Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink PhD and Introvert Power by Laurie Helgoe PhD. I definitely want to buy a copy of Introvert Power, it's another one that I want to read more than once, very inspiring.

I found some sandals at Walmart that I can wear without too much pain. So now I can wear skirts in the summer once in a while. Wore them all day yesterday. I think I'll wear them Sunday.

Soy milk does not make good instant pudding. It just won't sit up, it was more like a chocolate sauce. Learning experiences.

Moved up to level 24 on Farm Town.

I have an urge to either knit or quilt. I guess I might do one or the other. But then again I've got three library books that I need to read before they're due.

Photo of the day, Buford Lake on the Refuge.

Buford Lake

Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kindgom.
Luke 12:32

5 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

So what did you end up doing - quilting or knitting?? We had nice cool temps yesterday as well, maybe 71, tops. Then the dark clouds rolled in, though we never got more than about 3 sprinkles. Loved the dark clouds, though. I so admire those who read and get something from self-help types of books. I just never have the patience for them, and find myself scoffing through the parts I have forced myself to read because of a recommendation for the book. LOL I'm hopeless! I enjoy hearing about your food experiments. I wonder if rice milk would work in the pudding? That was pretty thin though, so maybe not? I dunno...

SchnauzerMom said...

Neither one, I read my books instead. I don't care for rice milk otherwise I'd try it in the pudding. Probably wouldn't work though.

April said...

Oh you're reading Introvert Power too! I'm about 1/3 into it and am enjoying it a lot. Helgoe says that at least HALF of us are introverts! HALF! :) So there are a lot of people faking it out there!

It's cooler here too and I'm loving it. This morning was in the 60's and this time of the year that just doesn't usually happen. It's NICE!

I've hit a few learning curves lately too in cooking different things. It comes with the territory of trying new things. We are culinary adventurers! :)

SchnauzerMom said...

April, I'm definitely going to buy a copy of the book. It's something that I have been looking for all my life, very freeing!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are finding so much great gluten free info! You go girl :)! I tried to make pudding with soy milk too. It didn't turn out for me either. I have to make my own pudding to get it to turn out.