I discovered which gluten free flour didn't agree with me. A couple weeks ago I made some cookies that made me sick and then on Thursday some scones that got to me. The cookies were made with a baking mix that I got at the health food store. It was made up of millet flour and sweet sorghum flour. The scones that I made were made from sweet sorghum, soy, and potato starch. The common denominator here is the sweet sorghum. Yesterday I made some scones with garbanzo bean flour, brown rice flour and potato starch. They tasted terrific and did NOT upset my stomach. I looked up sweet sorghum and apparently it is high in sugar. They make molasses from it. There are other varieties of sorghum maybe I'll try one of them later. Too much sugar does make me sick. I'm staying with the gluten free lifestyle. Wheat flour is not an option. Even though it doesn't make me throw up it does cause severe acid stomach, bloating, gas and other unpleasant things. Obviously I have to keep an eye on sugar content as well as gluten. Today I made a yellow cake with garbanzo bean and brown rice flours as well as oatmeal and potato starch. I also cut back quite a bit on the sugar. DH probably won't like it but that just leaves more for me. The icing will add enough sweetener.
It's broiling hot outside and the AC feels wonderful. We're watching Lara Croft Tomb Raider. No real life woman would ever do what she does.
I'm up to level 23 on Farm Town. Bought some more land, planted some crops. I want to buy a little fruit stand next. Am I hooked or what?
Photo of the day, another one from the Refuge. A nice view of Rush Lake.
And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who after He has killed has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him! Are not five sparrows sold for two cents? and yet not one of them is forgotten before God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear; you are of more value than many sparrows.Luke 12:4-7
4 comments:
I cannot imagine having an upset tummy so much of the time so I am so glad you were able to figure out what caused the problem and take steps to rectify it. You are so good at sticking to your diet plan that I am amazed. Oh to have have your willpower when it comes to matters of the diet! I am now craving cake.
I don't know that I've ever had sweet sorghum flour! I've been eating some gluten lately and not having problems with it, luckily. Well, I think it makes me a bit bloaty, but that's about it. I'm glad you found the culprit to your discomfort!
That is great that you figured it out! Sorghum flour is one flour I haven't tried, but I have tried sorghum in the molasses form. My body didn't like it AT ALL. People with mold sensitivies or allergies tend to have a hard time with sorghum. Sorghum is a sugar plant that molds easily, and the mold usually ends up in the flour. For some people, it doesn't seem to bother them, but for others, it can have bad reactions (like you throwing up). Obviously your body doesn't like sorghum! That is great that you figured it out so quickly too!
Jen, I am definitely allergic to mold. I didn't know that about the sorghum flour, I'll keep that in mind.
Post a Comment