Friday, August 20, 2010

Beauty

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say.  What is beautiful in one culture is ugly in another and so on.  I'm applying it to the countryside.  I overheard someone the other day complaining about how flat this area is.  No trees for miles.  He certainly wasn't paying attention.  There are trees everywhere.  But, he was probably comparing this country to some other place, back East probably where they have a lot more trees.  God created this world and I think it is all beautiful, mountains, prairies, deserts, all of it.  Now some of the things that man has done isn't so beautiful.  Chopping down all the trees, paving everything over, strip mining the land.  I'm not against cities, I like cities.  But, I like to be able to get out of the city and see the country.  Oklahoma is a very pretty place, rolling country and all kinds of trees. 

Speaking of countryside, today we took another road trip.  We went West down highway 62 to Altus, turned North (I forget the number of the highway, 200 something).  Traveled to Highway 19, 19 is one of my favorite roads.  It's small and out of the way, lots of scenery and not a lot of traffic.  It's hard to look around when you have people rip, roaring around you.  We turned East on 19 and traveled through small hills, part of the Wichita Mountains all the way to highway 54.  On 54 we turned back South and went down to highway 49.  On 49 we went East again on to the Wildlife Refuge.  They had a bad fire there a few days ago.  It burned really close to a ranch house.  I'm sure they were pretty worried.  We eventually had to leave the Refuge because they were doing some road work.  But it was a great trip and I loved it.  Sassy did pretty well too.  We had the windows down most of the way but toward the end we had to turn the AC on.  Sassy was panting quite a bit.  The heat was getting to her.  She is wearing a fur coat after all.

If we ever get some extra money I would like to travel to the Eastern part of the state.  I've never been over there.  It's a lot farther away and can't be done in one day.  We'd have to stay in a couple of motels along the way.  We'd probably have to put Sassy in a kennel since a lot of motels don't allow dogs.  I've been in Oklahoma over 30 years and have never been to Tulsa.  Need to go there sometime. 

One more day left of our vacation and then it's back to work.  Yesterday we cleaned house.  That's pretty bad when the only time you clean house is when you're on vacation.

Photo of the day, another old one, we didn't take any pictures today.  Should have I guess.  I brought my camera along.  This was taken at Roman Nose State Park a few weeks ago.










 




Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Philippians 4:6

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I too find beauty in every state I've seen. I've always heard that IL is too flat (IN as well) but I find rolling hills and even small mountains in the northwest part of the state. And being a tree lover, I'm always aware of each and every one of 'em.

April said...

I agree SM! I love the desert even though I consider myself a "forest person" since I've lived underneath trees my whole life. I remember driving through Oklahoma for the first time and it was were I really started to notice the change in the topography - and I loved it. There really is beauty wherever you look. I must admit that I did get a little bored visually driving through parts of Kansas where there really were no trees though. But it had its own stark kind of beauty even so.