Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cold Front

I love cold fronts.  They blow in and take some of the heat out at least for a while.  We didn't get any rain but it did cool off into the 80's.  That's pretty good considering that a couple days ago it was 106.  I know we have another month of warm weather left but this front does put the idea of autumn in my mind. 

I finished two paintings, one colored pencil and one oil pastel.  They are not very good but I had fun making them.  I always wanted to be an artist.  I know I will never make a living at art but I can enjoy making it.  I love color and the process of applying color to a blank canvas or sheet of paper.  I like drawing in black and white as well.  I haven't decided what I'm going to do next.  I have several prospects.

We had 6 kids in Sunday School.  5 girls and 1 boy.  The boy said he was going to bring a friend next week so that he would be the only boy.  A little while ago Bill and I went out and enrolled another girl in the class.  I guess we need to visit some of the boys and see if we can get them to come.  Bill isn't a teacher in the class anymore but he does go with me on visitation.  My other teacher is in the choir and they have rehearsal on the night that we go out to visit.  That's OK.  She can write cards and make phone calls.

I may work on my crochet sweater when I get done here.  But then again, I could work on my quilt.  Decisions, decisions.

Photos of the day, my latest artwork.  The first one is the colored pencil.  It is a painting of two elephant trunks intertwined.  The second one is based on a photo that I found of Monument Valley.  It is oil pastel.






































And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7

4 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Both art pieces are so cool, Kathy! I love the shadows on the elephant trunks and I love the whole idea of the piece. The palette in the second piece is beautiful and so redolent of the desert's beauty.

Liliana said...

I like the elephant trunks very much! The other is one of the "mittens" at Monument Valley. I have a photo of one of the mittens with the shadow of the other mitten falling on it at sunset!

I think you underestimate your talent. People who can sing often don't appreciate that they can. I think if you put some of your drawings in a show you might be surprised. If I could draw like you I'd definitely have them hanging all through my house.

Right before we moved I had bought myself an easel and acrylic paints. Got a library book and started painting flowers. I got one that was not bad. It did resemble a flower. lol. But the many things you draw, well, the variety you draw, this is a talent you have. Kathryn, you are an artist already. It's in your heart. You haven't sold something, but you have the potential to. An artist is driven to do their art and you are driven. You're already an artist. I say, go to the mirror and declare it out loud for it is already a fact.

SchnauzerMom said...

Thanks for your comments! I do think of myself as an artist.

Unknown said...

What a creative painting with the elephants! I love that! We are also getting that cold front. I am loving it :).