Monday, September 27, 2010

What Dogs Could Teach Us

  • When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
  • Never pass up the opportunity to go for a ride.
  • When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.
  • Let others know when they have invaded your territory.
  • Take naps and stretch before rising.
  • Run, romp and play daily.
  • Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
  • On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
  • On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
  • When you are happy, dance and wag your entire body.
  • No matter how often you are scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout. . .run right back and make friends.
  • Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
  • Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.  Stop when you have had enough.
  • Be loyal.
  • Never pretend to be something you are not.
  • If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
  • When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
  • Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
I have no idea who wrote this but I totally agree with it. 

One of my co-workers who claims to be an animal lover has told us that he wants to "get rid" of his two dogs.  One dog is 13 years old and has health problems.  The other one is young and healthy but too much trouble.  He and his wife have decided that they just don't want them anymore.  How sad.  To get rid of a close friend like a pair of worn out shoes.  I can't possibly afford to take them off their hands, otherwise I would.  It broke our hearts to put Scruffy to sleep.  She had serious health problems.  I can't imagine putting a dog to sleep just because I don't want it anymore.  I think they should at least try to find a new home for the younger dog.  The older dog does have serious health problems that can't be treated.  His quality of life is pretty low I can understand putting him to sleep.  But it is still a serious decision, in my book anyway. 

A cold front came through on Saturday night and the temps got pretty chilly this morning.  Poor Spidey didn't look so good.  The wind destroyed his web and so far he hasn't built it back.  I wonder if the chilly weather this morning didn't agree with him.  I don't know how long spiders live.  Maybe he's near the end of his lifespan.  Maybe they go into hibernation in the winter, not that the weather is all that cold right now.  It got into the mid 70's today and will get warmer over the next several days.  But, we have had a nice taste of Fall.

Photo of the day, in honor of dogs, another Sassy picture.













. . .put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. . .
Colossians 3:12

2 comments:

Jules said...

I should practice some of those dog lessons!

April said...

I loved the dog lessons. :)

And I agree about how sad it is to see people put dogs to sleep or otherwise get rid of them just because they don't want them anymore. Many years ago I worked for a vet and was surprised at how many people brought their animals in to be euthanized just because they were tired of them. It broke my heart! I took one home to keep, but the others were put down. It was hard fcr me to take. These were healthy, young animals. It was like you said... they treat them like an old worn-out pair of shoes. Some people don't feel any connection to animals and I feel sorry for them... they miss so much.

It got chilly here too and the bugs and spiders seem to be disappearing until next year.