Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day

We get the day off, whoo hoo! So we stayed up late last night watching the old Mummy movies from the 1930's and 40's. Today we'll probably start watching the new ones. They're all good for a laugh.

The weather is gorgeous out there. We'll probably take a little road trip later.

We only had 4 kids in Sunday School yesterday. I guess we should contact the absentees, I hope they don't have the flu or something. The kids are dependant on their parents, it the grownups don't want to go to church then the kids have to stay home too. Unless they ride the church van.

Last night I did another colored pencil drawing. I'm really happy with the results. It looks better in person than in the photo. It's based on a photo that I found in the National Geographic magazine. The mountain is called Mount Ngauruhoe (don't ask me how to pronounce that), located in New Zealand. Obviously it's a volcano. It's not erupting, those are just clouds around it.



Thursday we went out to the Refuge and took a few photos. It was cloudy and looked like it was going to rain but it never did. So here's the photo of the day, this is a cobblestone wall in the little park by the stream. You can see Sassy in there pulling on the leash. She has no patience with picture taking.



But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.
Romans 8:37.

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Michael always says the overcast days are the best lighting for photographs. For sure the colors are just so beautiful in that rock wall. I love what you have done with the landscape and colored pencils, Karen. Have you checked out Leslie's blog? Her stuff is gorgeous too! And great works on the Wet Canvas board, which has forums for each medium, instructions, challenges, etc.

Jules said...

Well I have to comment since Mount Ngauruhoe is virtually in my back yard! It's companion Mount Ruapehu has erupted in previous years but I think Ngauruhoe is now extinct (but don't quote me on that). If you break it up it's a little easier to pronounce: Nga-ra-ho-e. Although it does help if you know what the Maori vowels sound like.

Love the cobblestone wall. BTW, your drawing is a very good picture of Ngaurrhoe. It looks just like that. My husband and sons have climbed it. It's a very popular walk. I'll have to dig out the photos and have another look at them.

Blessings, Jules

Unknown said...

What a beautiful painting! How cool that it is practically in Jules' backyard :). I am amazed at how talented all my online friends are. You all write, quilt, paint, etc. I'm feeling a bit like an odd wheel because I don't seem to possess any of those talents :)!