This is one of the worst ice storms we have had in a while. Lots of power lines down and lots of trees damaged or destroyed. We lost the power in our house yesterday afternoon and got it back for a while at least at 10:30 last night. It was off and on all night and came back on again this morning. So far it's holding out although it did blink a while ago and I thought we were in the dark again. The house stayed reasonably warm last night before the power came back on. We bought a bag of ice to put in the freezer to keep stuff in there from thawing out. It snowed for a little while earlier this morning but I think that's over for now. The wind is not blowing as hard as it was yesterday. Bill spent a long time this morning trying to get the ice off the windshield of our car, he ended up having to use a hammer. The light bulb in our flashlight burned out and we wanted to go to Walmart to get a replacement. Unfortunately they were completely out of flashlights and anything having to do with flashlights, also candles and oil lamps. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to get things. When this is over and they get supplies back in I'm going to stock up on flashlights, candles and I think I'll get a couple of oil lamps. We really need to keep stuff like that around because even though this storm was out of the ordinary we still get some pretty bad storms around here. I think oil lamps will give a lot more light than candles. Walmart was insanely crowded and they didn't open any more registers, the lines were really long. They used to brag about how if the lines are long they would open more registers but they don't do that anymore. Maybe they were shorthanded, maybe some of their workers couldn't make it in. Anyway we're home now and we're gonna stay.
I decided to go ahead and post the drawing that I did of the bird even though it's based on a magazine photo.

Here's a couple of photos of the ice that I took yesterday. It would be interesting to drive around town and photograph some of the damage but I don't want to get in the way of the workers who are trying to clear it out.


Looks cold doesn't it? Everyone in the East look out this is headed your way.
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.Romans 10:17
5 comments:
Yes, it looks cold! You got the weather you were expecting. I think you got the cold that we had here yesterday only much worse at your house.
I always fret when the power goes out. Between loss of convenience, the potential loss of food, and the loss of heat? Ei yi yi. Oddly enough, despite bitterly cold days (many colder than the norm), we've been blessed so far to keep our power. Anyway, I love the bird painting! What a unique creature!
It sure is beautiful! We had an ice storm like that several years ago when we lived in the country. We lost power for the day. I will never forget how beautiful it was, even though it was so cold!
We missed the ice and snow this time! But is was COLD! I think ice storms are really beautiful, but holy cow they can be so damaging too. Here we have lots of pine trees and when they get loaded with ice, they break in half and fall on whatever is close to them.
I love the bird picture!
I heard today that this was the worst storm that we've had since the 1940's. The ice is all melted now but still lots and lots of damage.
Post a Comment