Saturday, May 8, 2010

Arts for All

The weather was really chilly today but that made it easier to walk through all the stalls.  Some years it has been so hot and humid it was miserable.  But today I had to wear a sweater.  Bill had a surprise for me.  Ever since January he has been putting back a little money every week so that we would have something to spend at Arts for All.  So today he handed me $100.  Whew!  Obviously we had a good time.  A lot of the stuff was very expensive and would have taken the whole amount.  I don't like to spend a lot of money on just one thing.  I like to get a bunch of things.  Anyway I found a necklace and earrings made from, of all things, recycled telephone wire.  They are so cool and they came in a lot of different colors.  The people were very creative.  They live in Tulsa and travel all over.  We also bought a pot, actually I think it's a casserole dish.  It wasn't from the same guy we bought from last year.  We didn't see him there this time.  The guy we bought this dish from was very reasonably priced and very talented.  We bought things from him before.  There were tons of arts and crafts there.  Lots of paintings realistic and abstract, oils, acrylics and watercolor.  All pretty expensive.  One artist wanted $5,000 for one of her large paintings.  Sorry, no can do.  There was also beautiful things made out of metal and blown glass.  It would have been nice to buy something from all of them but we had to narrow it down.  I'm happy with what we got. 

We had enough money left to eat out for lunch.  We went to a new Chinese buffet place.  Pretty good but a lot like another place on the other side of town.  Now Bill needs to start saving for our vacation in June.  It's always nice to have a little spending money on a vacation even if we can't go very far. 

After lunch we decided to go for a drive.  Drove East and then North.  Very pretty country.  If I could afford to buy land I think that's the area I would want to buy in. 

We finished the SG1 movies so now we're starting a new series.  We have all of the Indiana Jones movies so now we're watching the first one, Raiders of the Lost Ark. 

I hope all the mothers have a Happy Mother's Day tomorrow.  I guess you could call me a mother, a dog mother.  Sassafras Sue, my baby. 

Photos of the day, the stuff we got at Arts for All.  First the beautiful casserole dish.  I know it's strong and well made but I don't think I want to use it, just look at it.


This is my necklace and earring set.  I think I'll wear it to church tomorrow.


For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
2 Corinthians 4:6

6 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

That casserole dish is absolutely divine, Karen. Just gorgeous, truly, and a fabulous choice! I was expecting telephone wire jewelry like we made when I was a kid. I should have known better! That is quite a lovely little set you have in that find too. So nice of Bill to be saving for you; such a special love that is. (And please tell me that I haven't once again forgotten your proper name. I can be such a doofus at times.)

SchnauzerMom said...

Yep, you forgot. My name is Kathy. Bill picked out the dish and I picked out the jewelry. It took us a long time to decide because there were so many choices all beautiful.

FrannyG said...

What a wonderful surprise your husband had for you, putting that money aside! I'm so happy that you were able to enjoy Arts for all to the fullest. Nice finds you've got there.

April said...

Your hubby has great taste, SM! I love that casserole; it's gorgeous and rustic looking. It would fit right in with Mike's and my rustic cabin. :)

I've never seen telephone wire jewelry before; it's really pretty!

The Arts for All sounds like a great venue and much larger than our little town craft shows. I'd have a hard time choosing what to get too, but that was so cool your hubby had been saving money for the day. What a nice surprise.

LadyofCanterbury said...

I am completely in love with that dish. If I had seen it, I would have to have had it. I love that type of pottery and have many mugs and bowls that are similar but not quite so beautiful. I am so envious.

Lovely jewelery as well. That was sweet of Bill to save that money for the day of shopping. It sounds like a wonderful day.

SchnauzerMom said...

Yeah, I think I'll keep him.