Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sassy

Sassy and I had a bad experience last night.  We were walking around our house when the neighbor's dog attacked her.  Fortunately Sassy was wearing her harness and I was able to pull her out of the other dog's mouth.  Sassy's hindquarters were damp where that dog tried to get a hold of her and some of the hair on her tail is missing.  It was so scary because it was dark and I had trouble seeing what was going on.  The other dog was growling and Sassy was squealing in fear rather than pain.  No permanent damage was done.  But, that dog should never have been out of her yard.  The dog belongs to a woman and her son.  There has been a man living there the past few months, boyfriend I guess.  Anyway, he had the dog out on the open area behind our houses and was letting her run.  There is a leash law in our town.  That dog can run in their yard, behind the fence.  He couldn't control her, when she attacked she wouldn't listen to anything he said.  Usually a dog will bark and run toward you and then it will stop to size up the situation.  Not this one.  She flat out attacks.  This is the third time that she has attacked a pet of mine.  When they first moved in we still had Scruffy.  The boy had the dog on a leash and the dog pulled away and tried to attack Scruffy.  I was able to pick her up and keep her out of reach.  Last year the dog was out again, I don't know why.  But she tried to attack Sassy and I was able to keep Sassy out of her reach.  Last night was the worst attack though.  I'm tired of trying to be a good neighbor.  If that dog gets out of the yard again I'm calling the animal control people.  I'd hate to have her destroyed but I'd also hate to have my dog or any other dog severely injured or killed.  If they can't control their animals then they shouldn't have them.

Today was the last Sunday of the Sunday School year.  Next week we start over with a whole new class of kids.  They all promote up to the next grade.  We have 2 girls who will be staying with us because they were really in the 4th grade this past year.  They came to our 5th grade class because their cousin was in there.  We had the Bible Story, worked on the memory verse and then we had cake and ice cream and played games the rest of the time.  We had 7 kids.  That seems to be our standard number.  Attendance will go down in the summer because so many people will be on vacations and some kids will go to live with their other parent.  It's amazing how many kids come from what I would call a broken home but most people call them blended families.  Whatever, so many no longer live with both of their birth parents.   

Vacation Bible School starts on Tuesday.  That should be interesting.  They meet from 8:45 until 12:00 Tuesday through Friday.  I'm glad it's all going to stay on the first floor of the buildings.  That way we can clean the 2nd and 3rd floors.  We'll have to clean up after VBS every afternoon.  It's fun to see all the kids running around and having a good time.

I decided to drop out of Face book especially since I learned how to delete my account instead of just deactivating it.  I almost never post anything there, just play a few games and read what others have posted.  Besides, I got a computer virus, something called a Trojan virus that I'm pretty sure came from Face book.  Fortunately it was caught by my anti-virus program but still I just don't like the idea that Face book is not a very secure place. 

Photo of the day, little Sassy.  This isn't a new photo, I think I've posted it here before but it's been a while.















For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.
2 Corinthians 8:9

8 comments:

Ice Queen said...

I am so glad that Sassy wasn't seriously injured. That attack could have had a very different ending.

Personally, I wouldn't give them another chance. Three strikes and your dangerous dog is out! I would have been on the phone to Animal Control first thing, this morning.

Sassy is so. Cute. I love that picture. :D

Shelby said...

I'm glad to hear that Sassy is ok physically. I bet that scared the heck out of her! I don't think you should wait until 'next time', take care of it now. At least have authorities come out and speak to them. If that other dog is so quick to attack dogs, think about what he might do to little kids.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how scary! Frieda and I have gone through similar situations two or three times, and it's so scary! Each time, I went home with shaking knees and close to tears. I'm sorry that heppend to you, and I'm so glad that Sassy is okay!!! What a scare! Maybe you should get yourself some pepper spray or something like that!

I'm on facebook, too, and I agree - it is kind of unsafe in several respects. I had no idea you could really delete your account. I'm not planning to delete mine right now, but how do you do it?

Jules said...

Glad Sassy was okay. You have to be so wary of dogs nowadays. I can't remember being afraid of other people's dogs when I was young but now I'm very wary.

Hope you picked up the sunshine award from my blog. You deserve it!

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh look at the expression on Sassy's face! She is so adorable! She sounds like she'd get along well with my Tessa (though Tessa's exuberance is often a bit much for the other dogs...including our big boys...to take) who just loves other animals but hits the deck when they growl or get aggressive with her. Poor girl; I am so glad she is ok! Did you say anything to the guy who had the dog out last night?

Liliana said...

That's a darling picture of Sassy and I don't use the word 'darling' often! So glad she didn't get injured badly. That bad dog has got to go. Ideally, he should, but bad neighbors make it a bad situation.

I deleted my Facebook page too. Felt good.

But what really prompted me to write is that you made such an astute observation. You called blended families broken families. I've always disliked the term blended families because invariably there's not much blending. You called it what it is. The phrase 'blended families' is a euphemism. It didn't dawn on me until I read your post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting back, for the link and your compliment! :) That song is by tmy favorite band Blackmore's Night. You can check them out right here:

http://www.blackmoresnight.com/audio_clips.html

I love all of their music, but their christmas cd brings tears to my eyes, it's so beautiful.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toYx6y-RUgU

Did I just post a christmas song in June? LOL!!!

SchnauzerMom said...

Well the temperature here is in the 90's. A Christmas song would have a cooling effect. lol