Monday, June 21, 2010

Hot

It's supposed to be close to 100 degrees all week.  That's OK, the AC is working nicely.  I've often wondered how our ancestors endured the heat without AC.  I think part of it was that they weren't surrounded by concrete and asphalt like we are.  Those 2 things radiate a lot of heat.  When we go out in the country we can feel a difference.  My dad's parents lived down in Texas.  I remember times when we went to visit them in the summer and it would be so hot at night that my mom would sprinkle water on the bedsheets and then set up a fan to blow on us.  That really did help cool things enough to go to sleep.  I was a child at that time so the heat during the day really didn't bother me all that much, I was too busy playing.  I'm very grateful for the AC now though.

Our washer and dryer both went out.  It is a stacking unit that we've had for about 11 years.  Things just don't last as long as they used too.  I remember when appliances would last for 20 years.  Anyway, for about 3 weeks we have been doing our laundry at the church.  We're on vacation this week so we took our stuff to a laundromat.  Those places are so expensive.  Personally I think it's cheaper in the long run to just buy a washer and dryer and make payments.  That's what we did today.  We got Kenmore appliances at Sears.  They will be delivered tomorrow.    I'm glad that they will take the old unit away.  I was kind of concerned about how we would do that.  I hope and pray that nothing else breaks down until we can get some things paid off. 

We had 5 in Sunday School yesterday.  All girls.  Maybe eventually we can get some boys to start coming.  We had a good lesson and a good time. 

I'm not sure what all we will do on our vacation.  We really can't afford to go anywhere but I just like being able to sleep in and hang around the house.  Read books, watch movies.  We need to clean house too. 

I'm not really thrilled with the way my horse picture turned out.  Oh well, good for practice.

I always thought rabbits ate vegetables but I have learned that they eat fruit too.  I've seen a rabbit in our yard eating the peaches that fall off of our tree.  I usually pick up the peaches and throw them away but now I think I'll leave them a little longer so the rabbit can enjoy them.  It's not a very good peach tree.  No one fusses over it or does whatever it is you're supposed to do to get trees to produce.  A couple years ago it was just loaded with good peaches.  But things aren't so good this year.  Most of the fruit is small, looks more like apricots and a lot of it is rotting on the tree.  If I had a big ladder I could get the fruit out of the top of the tree before it spoils.  But, we just let the wind blow it down instead. 

Photo of the day, one of the cabins at Medicine Park.















Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
Galatians 6:7

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

What a festive photo!! I think your mom's idea of sprinkling the sheets with water and using the fan is so inspired! I'd not heard of that before. I do hate when appliances go out. They are pretty much necessities and pretty much expensive. Sigh...

Horses scare me, for some reason! (I mean painting them, not the reality of them!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated! I'm so glad it was only your dryer/washing machine that surrendered to the heat and not your AC! ;) For us, this has been a cool summer so far. I love your photo, by the way, great colors!