Thursday, October 21, 2010

Almost Over

Just 2 days left of our vacation.  They always go so fast.  I didn't accomplish all the things that I wanted to.  In fact I've done very little.  I did dust the bedroom today and ironed a bunch of clothes.  We drove out to the Refuge but the trees aren't changing yet.  Maybe in a couple more weeks there will be some color.  I forgot that this week was fall break.  There was a lot of people on the Refuge.  I was hoping to find a nice quite spot to just sit and listen to the birds.  Didn't happen this time.  On the way back we found another little cemetery in a town called Indiahoma.  The cemetery is called Post Oak Cemetery.  The majority of the people there were native Americans.  I think some of the folks there were part of the people who were rounded up by the cavalry and put on reservations.  The reason I believe this is because a lot of the tombstones had dates of death but no birthdates and they died in 1900 or 1901.  All the cemeteries that we've visited so far had lots of babies and young children and this one was no different.  The death rate for children was very high.  We passed another cemetery on the way home.  We'll visit it another time.  Bill took a lot more pictures than I did, I'm gonna have to borrow his pictures to post here in the future.

Yesterday we went to the funeral of a friend's mother.  I didn't know the lady but her daughter and son-in-law are good friends.  Afterward we went to Walmart and did our usual shopping.  We spent less than usual, must have forgotten something.

I finished one sleeve of my sweater and started on the second.  Maybe it'll get done before cold weather and I can wear it this winter.  I'm reading Familiar Animals of America, The Politically Incorrect Guide to Western Civilization, Seeing with a Painter's Eye and The Doctrine of Prayer.

Photo of the day, another one taken when we were at the Fort Sill National Cemetery.  A grasshopper sunning himself or herself.

















Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't vacations just fly by? I wish they went a little slower. Mine is ending this week too. The old cemeteries are so interesting. Makes you wonder what the stories behind the people are.

April said...

I used to love walking through cemeteries when I was younger. We had a huge, very old one near where I grew up and I always liked looking at the older tombstones - wondering who the people where, etc. Mike and I discovered a tiny one here where we now live - right across the street, hidden in the woods. There are only 10 or so tombstones, but they're all very old. I think it was a personal, family cemetery.

You're reading some interesting books; I need to read more, but I seem to go through phases where I read a lot and then when I don't. :)