Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chilly

It got so cold during the night that we had to put another quilt on the bed.  Nice!  It won't be long and some of the birds will be going South.  Our state bird is one of those, likes to go to South America somewhere.  Snowbirds.  When we lived in Mesa, Arizona (when I was a child) retired people from all over came there for the winter.  They always liked to ride around during rush hour.  It made it rough for those of us who had to go to work or school.  We moved away in 1975 and I haven't been back since.  I loved it there when I was a kid but I'm a full blood Okie now.  Been here for 31 years, longer than I have lived anywhere and we did a lot of moving around when I was growing up.

We decided not to eat out so often.  We were eating breakfast out every Thursday but that amounted to $80 a month.  We could buy a lot of groceries with that money.  We'll still eat out once in a while just for fun.  We did our other stuff, shopping at Walmart and we went to Hastings and bought a movie and a book.  Bill is the movie addict and I'm the bookworm.  Although I do usually enjoy the movies too.

Since we didn't do a lot of running around today Sassy got several walks around the neighborhood.

Little Things


It's just the little homely things,
The unobtrusive, friendly things,
The "won't-you-let-me-help-you" things
That make our pathway light-
And it's just the jolly, joking things,
The "never-mind-the-trouble" things,
The "laugh-with-me, it's funny" things
That make the world seem bright.


For all the countless famous things,
The wondrous,record-breaking things,
Those "never-can-be-equaled" things
That all the papers cite,
Aren't like the little human things,
The everyday-encountered things,
The "just-because-I-like you" things
That make us happy quite.


So here's to all the simple things,
The dear "all-in-a-day's-work" things,
The "smile-and-face-your-troubles" things,
Trust God to put them right!
The "done-and-then-forgotten" things,
The "can't-you-see-I-love-you" things,
The hearty "I-am-with-you" things
That make life worth the fight.
-Author Unknown


Photos of the day, the two paintings that I've recently finished.  The first is a colored pencil of a wolf and the second is an oil pastel of a lake.  Both are based on photos in magazines.  Unfortunately I didn't write down the name of the lake but it is located somewhere in the USA. 



































Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

2 comments:

Liliana said...

The paintings are gorgeous. Your clouds photo is gorgeous!

FrannyG said...

I really understand that decision not to eat out so much. I can't remember the last time we did, for the same reason as you. I do hope that can go out for breakfast every few weeks or so. It seems that you enjoy it.

I really like both paintings, but the one of the lake is really stunning. It's very beautiful and I admire the technique.

Your quote of the day is one of my very favourite Bible verses, and I was just thinking about it this morning.

I'm happy that the weather is cooling down, and I hope it helps those allergies. I have to admit that I like when it's time to pull out that extra quilt.