Saturday, October 9, 2010

Beautiful Weather

Unfortunately I can't spend a lot of time outside because of allergies.  It's kinda weird, the temp is in the 80's and the leaves on the trees are beginning to change and fall off.  I got a couple good photos of trees around our house changing.  Our peach tree seems to be in a hurry to shed it's leaves. 

This has been a busy week.  Two funerals back to back, one yesterday and one today.  Thursday evening we had a meeting to go to during which we took a spiritual inventory.  Hard questions to answer but trying to get right with the Lord is worth it.  We don't have to work Monday because of the holiday.  It does mean working a little more tomorrow to make up for it but that's OK. 

A couple little girls in the neighborhood wanted to take Sassy for a walk.  There's no way I would allow that because Sassy doesn't walk well on a leash.  She would drag them all over the place if she didn't get away first.  She does like to chase cats and rabbits.  She gets very excited when people approach her and I can't guarantee that she wouldn't nip someone.  I always calm her down before I let children pet her.

I finished a colored pencil drawing/painting of a wolf today.  I'll post a photo of it later.

Started some new books.  The Trouble with Jesus by Joseph M. Stowell, Stillmeadow and Sugarbridge by Gladys Taber and Barbara Webster and Poems that Touch the Heart complied by A.L. Alexander.  One my mother gave me, one I bought at Goodwill and one Bill ordered off the Internet.  I've found lots of great books at Goodwill and Salvation Army.  Older books usually.  I like novels but I don't care for the modern stuff because they are pretty much like the movies, foul language, violence and all that.  Don't like that kind of stuff.  I love poetry, need to find some more poetry books.  Speaking of poetry, here is one from the book that I'm reading.

The Anvil-God's Word

Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith's door,
And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;
Then, looking in, I saw upon the floor
Old hammers, worn with the beating years of time.

"How many anvils have you had," said I,
"To wear and batter all those hammers so?"
"Just one," said he, and then with twinkling eye,
"The anvil wears the hammers out, you know."


And so, thought I, the anvil of God's Word,
For ages skeptic blows have beat upon;
Yet, though the noise of falling blows was heard,
The anvil is unharmed-the hammers gone.
-Author Unknown

Photos of the day, the ones I took of our peach tree, some flowers and another tree out back.













































. . .so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.
1 Thessalonians 2:12

1 comment:

FrannyG said...

It sounds like you got yourself some good books. There are still a lot of good, wholesome books being written; you just have to know where to look and find out who the good authors are.

I sure hope those allergies start leaving you alone very soon.