Thursday, December 17, 2009

Art

Art is not a passion for me, it's my way of life. I see art everywhere. Patterns and colors and designs. It's not just painting and drawing. I consider knitting, crocheting, quilting and beading art also. I love yarns, the color and the feel of them. All the different patterns that you can make with knitting. Crochet is like abstract art because you can do so much with it, even make free form designs. You use geometry in quilting, squares, triangles, and so on. I love planning a quilt, choosing the fabric and colors, all art to me. Then there's beading, so many different kinds of beads and you can make your own if you want to. So many different ways of putting them together, combining color and textures. But then, I see art in nature, the way the sun shines through the leaves, snow on mountains, the colors of flowers. I've been noticing perspective a lot lately. The way the lines converge to a point, roads, fences, roofs of buildings. Of course it doesn't stop with the things I mentioned. I used to do calligraphy and that's very beautiful too. I stopped because when you make a mistake you have to start over from scratch and I had to start over a lot. Photography is another great thing. You can do a lot with it, different lighting, different lenses. The things that I mentioned are things that people usually consider crafts and somehow that's supposed to be less than art. But I think that something that is well crafted, well made is a thing of beauty and an art. I used to make all my own clothes and that was an art to me too. Every now and then I think about making clothes again but buying from thrift shops is so much cheaper.

Moving right along. Bill and I bought new shoes today. My feet are already a lot happier. I don't know how long I had the old shoes, at least 6 months. 6 months is about the limit for shoes. Of course the feet will always hurt but at least not as much, until these shoes wear out that is.

I have a photo picked out and I think I'll attempt it with my soft pastels. It's been years since I used soft pastels and they were cheap ones. The ones I bought recently are better quality, I think.

I need to brush Sassy, I didn't do it last night, she can't wait to many nights. She needs to be fluffed up every so often.

Photo of the day, abstract in wood.


. . .and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.

Acts 10:28

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

You know, in reading the words, I suppose what you say is exactly true of me as well. It is hard for me to let go of any one thing and I ultimately end up overwhelming myself with all the things I want to do. But point of fact is that it IS a way of life for me as well. I guess I just want to be great at just one thing. Just one! LOL

Jules said...

I love the photo and I like what you wrote about art. I like to see patterns in nature too but for me I think it's more a mathematical bent than an artistic one. But your words about it being a way of life ... I feel like that about writing. People ask me how I fit it in and I can't answer them because the truth is I can't not write.

SchnauzerMom said...

Writing is an art too.