Monday, April 26, 2010

Chilly

It is downright chilly out there.  We got lucky last week.  We had some severe weather but nothing like they had in the Southeastern states.  That's rough.  Severe weather is a fact of life around here but it still shouldn't be taken for granted.  You have to have a plan, to know what you're going to do if it is on it's way.  We have two storm shelters here in the park but pets aren't allowed.  I figure if it's too dangerous for us then it's too dangerous for Sassy too.  So we travel to the church it's only about 5 minutes away and it's a very well built structure.  As safe as anything is I guess.  Besides we can park the car under a canopy and hopefully protect it from hail.

The wind started blowing hard out of the North today and it is very chilly out there.  It made all my iris lay down.  They are top heavy anyway and the wind pretty much laid them over.  I hope they pop back up.  But probably not because on Wednesday the wind is supposed to blow hard again.  I really should thin them out.  I didn't do that last year but it needs to be done.  They are overcrowded.  But then again, maybe they like crowds.

The wedding reception last Friday was a circus.  The weirdest thing I have ever experienced.  But I suppose they were happy with it.  They didn't clear out until midnight.  I thought they'd never leave.  The party's over people, go home.

I've got two colored pencil drawings done and now I'm working on an oil pastel.  All based on photos that I took.  I'm learning how to compose my pictures.  What to leave in and what to take out.  Move things around, make a more pleasing composition and all that.  I've also been studying some art blogs.  Learning from the more experienced.

I've been bad as far as the gluten free diet is concerned.  Went off of it for a while and paid the price.  I'm never going to heal if I keep doing that.  It has to be a lifelong thing.  Sometimes it's hard to accept things though.  To accept that I can't eat whatever I want to.  To accept that I'm getting older with all the accompanying aches and pains.  To accept that I'll never be good looking or financially well off.  Some things you just have to let go of so you can move on with life.  I'm tired of carrying baggage around.  Life's too short for that.

We had 9 kiddos in Sunday School.  Only one boy in the bunch.  I wish we could get the boys here on a consistent basis.  They are a lot more hit and miss than the girls.  Of course they are dependent on their parents.  If mom and dad don't want to come then they can't come either.  

I haven't taken any photos of my drawings yet, maybe later.  We did go out Thursday and get a few photos of the Refuge.  So, the photo of the day is a little waterfall that I saw at Crater Lake.  I haven't taken very many photos at that lake.  It's not very picturesque but the little waterfall was pretty.

But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, death is swallowed up in victory.  O death, where is your victory, O death, where is your sting?
1 Corinthians 15:54-55

5 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Your paragraph struck a note with me, Karen. I go through similar thoughts quite often. Each time I begin to accept who I see in the mirror, a new line or wrinkle shows up and it all goes out the window again. I look forward to seeing your art and I love that you are enjoying the works of other artists. If you've not been to Wet Canvas, you should check it out. There is a plethora of information and tools and art works out there. I love that place. I don't go often as I get lost there with all there is to see and do...

Unknown said...

I'm glad you weren't hit with the bad weather. Having experienced a tornado before, it is a pretty scary experience. It is good that you have a place to go if you have a bad storm.

Staying gluten free can be hard. There are so many tempting things out there to eat. My mother-in-law gave me some great advice. She asked me if a few minutes of eating something tasty that had gluten in it was worth several days of being uncomfortable. That put things into perspective :).

SchnauzerMom said...

Jen, I agree, sin is pleasant for a season and then we pay the consequences.

April said...

Being gluten-free is not that easy. I don't know about there, but you simply can't go to a restaurant here and get gluten-free bread or recipes. They look at you like you're from outer space if you ask about it. Most people don't even know what gluten free means! At least Mike has joined me in gluten-free eating, so that makes it easier for me. He can't have sugar either, so I don't even keep it in the house anymore. He's being great about it though and has lost a lot of weight since finding out he's diabetic.

I agree that you just have to let go of some things in life. It's important to have dreams and goals, but sometimes we do have to adjust them along the way; I sure have. And... aging does present us with a whole new set of issues and problems, I know!

SchnauzerMom said...

April, gluten free is a mystery to most people here too. The health food store has lots of good stuff though.