Friday, July 2, 2010

Hurricane

We're getting the aftereffects of the hurricane that hit the gulf coast.  I love rain so I have no problem with it.  Some people are complaining because it's the 4th of July weekend and they don't want rain right now.  But, rain can be very scarce around here and I think we need to be grateful for every drop that we can get. 

This oil problem in the gulf is so sickening.  It should never have happened.  The company should have had a plan for events like this.  People have lost their lives and a lot of people have had their worlds turned upside down.  We are way to dependent on oil.  I wish we would put more money and effort into developing alternatives.  Of course we are extremely wasteful too.  Where I live we take our garbage to a dumpster.  DH and I walk over there but I've seen people throw the bags on the trunk of their car and drive over there, just a few feet.  Talk about lazy.  We are very spoiled.  If we ever have a depression like they did in the 1930's I'm afraid we would be in a world of hurt.  But then, who knows, maybe I'm wrong and we would come through with flying colors.  I hope we never have to find out.

The other day I finished my oil pastel landscape.  Haven't taken a photo of it yet.  I'll post that later.  Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do next. 

One day last week during our vacation we went to all the thrift shops in town.  It was a lot of fun and I got some good things.  Some jewelry from one shop and several books from Goodwill.  Also, a pair of Capri pants from Salvation Army and one pair from the thrift shop on Fort Sill.   We're off on Monday because of the 4th being on a Sunday.  I'm not sure what we'll do.  It's supposed to be rainy which is fine with me.

Sassy didn't get a long walk today because it's pouring rain out there right now.  If it stops we may go out later.

Photo of the day, Sassy chewing on a toy.











For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

4 comments:

FrannyG said...

I'm happy to hear that not only are you having the rain you need, but you're enjoying it too.

I agree with you; the oil companies need to develop a new non-petroleum-based product. They'll still be profitable, if they're smart, and our dependence on oil will be no more. That would be beneficial for so many reasons, and not just the environmental ones.

Love the photo of Sassy. :)

Autumn Leaves said...

I agree; we should be very thankful for every drop of rain, especially when we live in a more drought prone land as you do. Fun things can be done inside as well as outside...a nice pot of homemade chili, good books, family get-togethers (the stories always flow), old movies, art, art, and more art (no matter your choice of form - knitting, painting, drawing...)

April said...

The oil leak makes me sick too. I can't even watch the news it upsets me so much. They show the animals dying and suffering and I have to leave the room if Mike is watching it. And the poor souls who have lost their livelihoods and lives. The whole thing is just discusting and horrible.

I love the new look of your blog, SM! I've been meaning to mention it for a week or so now (since I was well enough to be on the computer more and come a-calling). It's quite inviting. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the pil spill, it's so sad... Could you send some of that rain our way? ;) Sassy is so cute, thanks for posting her picture! :) Have a great week! :)