I think I've finally sorted out my dietary problems. A couple years ago the doctor told me that I might have trouble digesting certain kinds of sugars. At the time I didn't listen because I was convinced that gluten was the problem. But lately I've been keeping a food journal and I've discovered the things that don't agree with me. High fructose corn syrup is the main problem. I love Coke but it no longer loves me. Dried fruit is another bad thing for me. A few weeks ago we got some fruit snack bars from the health food store. All that was in them was dried apples, figs (or dates, don't remember which), raisins and almonds. No added sugars, no artificial anything, sounds very healthy. Well, within a couple hours of eating mine I had cramps and diarrhea. I had a slice of gluten free bread a while back that didn't agree with me. I read the label and it had raisin juice concentrate in it. Another bad thing for me is chicory root extract. That seems to be the latest thing in fiber. If a product brags about being high in fiber it usually has chicory root in it. They even put it in yogurt. That's where I ran into trouble. I found some yogurt made by Weight Watchers that sounded really yummy. It had chicory root in it and I didn't think anything of it. Within a couple hours I had severe cramps, not just in the intestines but my stomach as well. That's the first time my stomach cramped up. It was one of those "do I need to go to the doctor?" feelings. I didn't need to go, things calmed down eventually. So HFCS, dried fruit and chicory root are all on my avoid like the plague list. Wheat on the other had doesn't seem to bother me. I can eat homemade wheat bread (notice I said "homemade", the stuff in the store is usually full of HFCS) with no problem, in fact it tends to calm things down. White sugar and brown sugar don't bother me, no reaction to them at all. So, as much as possible, I'm sticking with homemade stuff, tastes better anyway.
We heard from our credit card company that someone overseas has been charging stuff to our card. We don't have to pay for it, the company will declare it as fraud. We will get a new card with a new password. I know credit cards are convenient but sometimes I wonder if they're worth the headache.
Photo of the day, a flower that I saw out at Sunset Rec Area.

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.
Mark 13:31
6 comments:
So glad you've finally pinpointed whatever ails you. I know you've been experimenting for awhile now. We've just ben getting so much heat around here (and the humidity). You "westerners"..."southerners"...??? can keep it! LOL
I have a special umbrella for when I'm walking in the sun! It's supposed to reflect the light even more than a regular one, but ANY kind is good and I think you're smart.
It's been horribly hot here too! We had a great spring with a lot of rain, but ugh, it's hot and humid now. Upper 90's but we've not hit 100 yet I don't think. Soon though, I'm sure!
Home made is the best, isn't it? You know the ingredients and where the food came from and I even bring in my breakfast and lunch to work when I can. I'm glad you're figuring out your diet issues.
There's supposed to be a "Mountain Dew Throwback" out for a limited time that has sugar and no HFCS in it. I can't find it here.
It's stinkin' hot for June, isn't it? I've been spoiled by our cool summers the past couple of years.
Yes it's stinking hot for June!!! I'm still figuring out my diet issues. Sigh.
I am amazed at how much stuff has HFCS in it. I'm getting to the point where I basically shop just around the outside of the store (eggs, meat, produce). I was shocked that even turkey bacon had HFCS in it! I buy a lot from a local co-op. It is more expensive, but usually void of the bad stuff. I hope you are able to find some answers soon. I know how frustrating that can be.
I'm so sorry that sugar is your problem - gluten free is easier to find that sugar-free. Like you I can tolerate brown sugar (but only enough for my porridge) but have to watch other types of sugar. For years I noticed that I would feel ill after eaing store-bough muffins (a favourite treat at work) and I finally realised it was the corn syrup that was the problem. I can used dried fruit for flavouring (e.f. 1 or 2 dried apricots and a tablespoon raisins with rolled oats to make muesli) but it sounds as if you're going to have a problem even with that.
Because I'm also yeast-free finding breads and crackers is difficult. I'm leaning more towards lots of fruit and vegetables which is healthier anyway. But sometimes I get lazy and then I pay for it. The hardest thing is that you have to read EVERY SINGLE label. And even when you find a product you can eat you still have to keep on reading the labels because they can change them at any time (happened to me with rice crackers).
Daisy had a recipe for sugar-free cookies on her blog that didn't include sugar substitutes (which I avoid) or fat (sounds healthy!). It used mashed banana and rolled oats and dried fruit but I tried replacing the dried fruit with unsweetened carob chips and it was nice enough. At least it made me feel that I was able to have a treat. I also have a fruit cake recipe on my blog that uses no sugar or fat but it does use dried fruit so it might not be suitable for you. Let me know of any recipes that you find and we can share hints.
Here is another blog where the owner is sugar free: http://keepers-at-home.blogspot.com/2009/06/new-diet-and-little-yumminess.html She has other recipes but I thought this would start you off.
Blessings, Jules
Post a Comment