Monday, March 16, 2009

First Day

of vacation. Sassy let us sleep all the way to 8:00. We went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. I really like Cracker Barrel, it's one of my favorite places. I think what I got was gluten free, didn't have any reactions anyway. I didn't eat all of it, I'm going to finish it off tomorrow morning.

We got a turkey at Walmart the other day for just a little over $5. It was way past the use by date but it was frozen so it was OK. I thawed it out and baked it today. I got a lot of meat off of it. Sassy was having a fit while I was peeling it off of the bones. I found a recipe on the blog Gluten Free Girl and I altered it somewhat and used some of the turkey in it. Most of the rest went into the freezer except for some that I left out to put on salads or whatever.

The weather was gorgeous and Sassy got two long walks. One of the neighbor's dogs was wandering around. This is the first time that I saw this one out and about. He was about Sassy's size, black with a tail that curled up over his back. He wasn't too sure about her, she always wants to play right away. I took him back home. I've met more people in the neighborhood since we got Sassy than in all the years we've lived here before.

I spent about an hour and a half practicing on the keyboard. I lose track of time when I'm playing it (or with it).

A friend who lives in this neighborhood was working in her garden. She thinned out some plants that she had and gave one to me. She called it a Blackeyed Susan. I hope it survives in my clay soil.

Photo of the day: this is a red bud tree from last year. I noticed some in the neighborhood had started blooming again this year.

Photobucket

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable.
Isaiah 40:28

4 comments:

Annie said...

I like Cracker Barrel breakfasts, too. We usually eat there at least once when we go on road trips.

Everything is blooming around here, and I keep thinking, "It's certainly early for this!" and then remember that it's March. My brain's calendar is still in January. I need to catch up!

Jules said...

What a gorgeous tree! I too lose track of time when I'm playing the piano.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a deal on the turkey! I love turkey, and it is gluten free :). I will have to check out Gluten Free Girl to get some new recipes. I wanted to thank you for posting the gluten free pie crust recipe awhile back. My mother-in-law tried it, and she loved it. I am going to make it next. She said she had to really work with the dough at first until it became softer, but then it rolled fine. I can't wait to try it!

Autumn Leaves said...

What a beautiful tree, Pat! And of course, our puppies usually are good for breaking the ice with neighbors, aren't they? So glad your vacation is starting out so heavenly. That turkey...mmmm...I love turkey! What a great idea!