Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Daffydills

Or daffodils if you prefer. Last year Herbalannie sent me some daffodils from her yard. They died right away after I planted them. I left them in the ground in hopes that the next Spring they would come out again. Well it's not Spring yet but sure enough they are coming up! So in honor of daffodils I found a couple of poems.

I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud

I WANDERED lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
The stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced; but they
Outdid the sparkling waves in glee;
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company;
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth to me the show had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

William Wordsworth

To Daffodils

Fair Daffodils, we weep to see
You haste away so soon:
As yet the early-rising Sun
Has not attained his Noon.
Stay, stay,
Until the hasting day
Has run
But to the Even-song;
And, having prayed together, we
Will go with you along.
We have short time to stay, as you,
We have as short a Spring;
As quick a growth to meet decay,
As you, or any thing.
We die,
As your hours do, and dry
Away,
Like to the Summer's rain;
Or as the pearls of Morning's dew
Never to be found again.

Robert Herrick

Yesterday I made some chocolate chip-peanut butter-oatmeal, gluten free cookies. Good stuff!

I'm pooped, ready for a day off.

Photo of the day, the daffydills. They're just peeking above the ground.

Photobucket

And the pride of man will be humbled, and the loftiness of men will be abased, and the Lord alone will be exalted in that day.

Isaiah 2:17

3 comments:

Jules said...

I always think of daffodils as the flower that announces that spring is just around the corner. They're usually out here in August which is late winter - about where you are re the seasons now. Left alone in the ground, daffodils should naturalise. In a few years you could have more than you ever dreamed possible. Their sunny yellow faces are so welcome after a long winter!

Annie said...

Yay!!! Mine are coming up, too.

Daisy said...

What a beautiful sight!! The new life of spring peeking through! I won't see any signs of spring for at least another month and a half! Until then I will enjoy your pictures!