1/3 cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup (5 tablespoons) butter or Crisco
1 1/2 Tablespoons corn starch
1 egg, beaten
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Have eggs and butter cold for best results. Combine flours, starches, salt, xanthan gum and sugar in mixing bowl. Cut cold butter into slices and then work it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or hands until the dough feels slightly moist and begins to hold together.
- Add the beaten egg and vinegar to the flour mixture and stir with a spoon or fork until it begins to stiffen. The dough will be quite soft at first but will firm up. Form it into a ball and work it a little with your hands. Use a little tapioca flour if necessary to keep your hands from getting sticky.
- Roll the dough out between two pieces of wax paper, turning and peeling off paper as necessary to smooth out wrinkles. Leave the paper on the pie dough to turn it. When it is ready for a pie pan, peel the top layer of paper off, hold the lightly greased pan over the dough, and slip your other hand under the bottom paper and dough. Lift it into the pan as you flip it over.
- Smooth the dough into the pan before removing the wax paper. Again peel it off, don't lift it off. Crimp edges as desired. Prick with a fork if a baked pie shell is desired and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Double the ingredients for a 2 crust pie. Don't attempt to fold the top pie crust. Bake according to the recipe you're using. The cherry pie took 35 minutes.
I also made a gluten free cornbread dressing or stuffing. I don't call it stuffing because I don't stuff the bird with it. It came out really good too. Made gluten free banana-chocolate chip bread too. The banana bread always comes out better when I make it with gluten free flour. So we have lot's to eat now.
DH is going gluten free with me (more or less) that way I don't have to cook two meals. He does have some gluten things, flour tortillas, whole wheat crackers that he likes to eat. But the meals that I make are without gluten.
Normally we put up our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving but this year we decided to get a little tree and put it up out of a certain puppy's reach. We found a nice one at Walmart this morning so we put it up this afternoon. Sassy just noticed it a little while ago. She went over to the table that it's on and did some serious sniffing.
Photo of the day, our little Christmas tree.
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Thy name in all the earth!
Psalm 8:9

4 comments:
I think I'll have to hang my tree from the ceiling to keep the cats out of it!
Oooo, thanks so much for posting this recipe! I am going to give it a try!
I love your little Christmas tree :)!
Thanks for the recipe, Kathryn. I'm going to try that very soon... been eating too much wheat lately and I can feel it.
I love your little tree! Maybe I'll get ours up this weekend. It will be tiny since we're not having any parties or company this year.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I like your tree. What a good idea to keep it away from Sassy. I'm sure she would love to investigate. :)
Post a Comment