Of course the North wind played havoc with my allergies, been sneezing all day.
I made some chicken soup with veggies and barley. I haven't had barley in years. I love the stuff but it's hard to find. Well, I found some in the day old bread store. They're selling a lot more stuff than just bread. I've been reading about barley, it's high in fiber and can be used like rice or oats. So I have barley soup. It will last for several meals especially if DH doesn't like it and I have to eat it by myself. He's a picky eater.
The church had some trouble today. A refrigerator and a refrigerator-freezer combo went out today. Some food had to be thrown away, but a lot was saved too. Some meat thawed out and the cook was going to throw it away and DH and I said we'd take it. It's just thawed out, not spoiled. So I cooked it as soon as we got home. It's hamburger patties. We also got some hot dogs, corn dogs, chili meat and meatballs out of this deal. It was all cooked already and safe to refreeze. So we won't have to buy meat for a while unless we want chicken or fish.
DH actually turned the TV off. So I think I'll take advantage of the situation and read.
Photo of the day, these are my great-grandparents on my mother's side. Love the old truck in the background.
1 comment:
I love barley in soup. It's one of those childhood memories - mom would fix me a nice, steaming, savory bowl of canned Campbell's vegetable beef soup. :)
Congrats on the food windfall! That should help the grocery bill!
Post a Comment