Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rant

It's my blog and I'll rant if I want too. I've probably lost my readers because I've been talking about politics but it has become a very important subject to me now. So, here I go again. When I was a senior in high school they lowered the voting age from 21 to 18. A man came to my class and told us about the parties (I don't remember what he said) and pre-registered us to vote. Everyone in the class wanted to be Democrat. I, always wanting to be different signed up as a Republican. So I spent the next several years as a Republican with no idea what that meant. When I got married my DH was a Democrat so I switched over, still had no idea what a Democratic was. Finally after all these years I decided to take my head out of the sand and learn about the parties and the issues.

Now for the reason why I called this a rant. I'm really tired of all the mud slinging that is going on. President Bush is blamed for all the bad things going on. Well, was he in Washington all by himself for the past 8 years? No. What about Congress, the Senate and the House of Representatives. Are they all Republicans? No. There's a bunch of Democrats and others there too. What were the Democrats doing for the past 8 years? In a coma and they just came too, on a trip and they've just returned? Bush and the Republicans are to blame but the Democrats are also to blame. We're all to blame and we need to work together, Republicans, Democrats and others to fix the problems. It would be refreshing to have a candidate who would avoid criticizing the opposition and just stick to the issues. Oh well, maybe some day.

I've been doing a lot of reading and studying. I've looked at the Democratic website and the Republican one. Our (DH's and mine) personal beliefs are reflected on the Republican site. Our philosophy was Republican all these years and we didn't know it. So first chance we get we're going to change our party affiliation. It doesn't matter as far as the presidential election is concerned because we can vote for whoever we want now. But this is a party that I can really identify with. This will probably be all that I will be saying about politics since we've decided who we will vote for. OK rant over.

Weather report: another gorgeous day in the neighborhood. Allergies are real bad though.

Sunday I'm going to substitute teach in one of the first grade Sunday Schools. The regular teacher will be out of town. It should be fun. Kids are cool.

Photo of the day, this is a pillow quilt that I made for my FIL. The pattern is a turtle. There is a separate pillow setting on top of it.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Jules said...

I haven't seen a pillow quilt in ages. I remember that I always wanted to make one but never got around to it.

I don't know the difference between a Republican or a Democrat but I'm glad that you're learning the difference. I must admit I voted a particular way for a long time because 'that's how Christians vote'. Moving overseas and hearing Christians debate politics made me stop and think about how I voted. And I need to do some more thinking because we've got an election coming up shortly.

Your 'rant' was rather mild and I'm sure you haven't lost any readers because of it.

Blessings, Jules.

April said...

Hi Kathryn :) To answer your question, the democrats haven't had the POWER to do much in the past eight years. Many of their attempts to makes changes have been vetoed because they were the minority. The problem during the Bush presidency is that for a long time ALL THREE parts of the government were run by the current version of the Republican party. It gave the executive branch WAY too much power. It's not how our government was designed to run. There are supposed to be checks and balances and there haven't been for way too long.

Republicans for the most part support little regulation in business and that is one of the main reasons so many financial institutions are now failing - as you've heard about in the news lately and in the past. McCain has supported deregulation for a long time. The problem, aside from it decimating our economy, is that you and I will be paying for all the government bailouts of these companies with our taxes! That's just not right.

Your personal beliefs might be well aligned with the Republican party (I'm not aligned with either party myself), but just make sure McCain is as well. And regardless of who blames who for what, please don't ignore the state of our country. The Democrats were not in power the past eight years; the Republicans were. You can't blame the Democrats this time around.

Sorry, I just wanted to answer your question. :)