Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sassy

Here lately she has been wanting to go outside about every 15 minutes and she doesn't relieve herself she just wants to sniff around and chase rabbits or cats. This is a bad habit we're getting into here. I don't mind walking in the daytime, in fact I enjoy it. But this nighttime walking is the pits. It's too dangerous for one thing. There's a large stray dog that I have seen in the neighborhood several times. He looks like a German shepherd mix. I don't know where he comes from and I haven't seen him for a couple of days but I've no doubt he'll be back. Then, even worse a few weeks ago one of our neighbors saw a man (at night) wandering around and acting strange. Nothing like that has been seen since. But I like to see what's out there. Even it there's no stray dogs or strange men we could still meet up with a skunk. DH has gone out with us at night a few times. But I've decided that when it's dark we're staying close to the house, even if it means walking around the house several times. I've started doing that tonight and Sassy doesn't like it, she wants to go, go, go. If we had a fence she would be confined near the house so we can walk on the leash near the house too. She'll get used to the idea. In the daytime we'll continue to walk in the neighborhood.

I was going to make a chocolate cake today but was too tired. I'll make it Thursday. The rum cake is nearly gone. I still have a lot of the banana bread though. It makes a good dessert. The Stroganoff turned out really good even it I'm eating it by myself.

Well I made it through one day without soft drinks. I don't like being "hooked" on something. Feeling like I just have to have it. I think that's the main reason why I want to give them up. I don't want something "ruling" over me. That's the main reason I don't drink alcohol, I would get addicted too easily. Rum cake doesn't count. I didn't drink the rum. My father was a beer drinker but my mother was always against drinking. When I grew up I tried a few things, beer (tasted like an aluminum can), whiskey (couldn't breathe for a while afterward), wine (tasted like vinegar), rum and Coke (burned going down). I did like a wine cooler that my cousin had but I haven't had any of that in over 30 years. I just have no use for the stuff except for the occasional rum cake once every blue moon. There were several alcoholics in my family and I always felt like I would become one given the chance. So it's best to stay away from the stuff.

Still have a cold, it's not any worse, just a stuffy nose that runs and an occasional cough.

Photo of the day, I'm starting to lose track of which ones I've already posted so it you've already seen this, well, here it is again. Just north of this area is a lovely little lake called Rush Lake. A stream from the lake runs at the bottom of the hill.

Photobucket

How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word, with all my heart I have sought Thee; do not let me wander from Thy commandments. Thy word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee.
Psalm 119:9-11

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathryn, sounds to me like Sassy is a little bored with her puppy toys and needs a "job": Teach her some fun stuff to keep her mind occupied. She'll love learning new things and pleasing you that way, getting praise and goodies for it. And it will tire her out psychologically so she'll be more sleepy and won't want to hunt rabbits. Start with little things like turning round, barking when you tell her, giving you a paw etc. Then go for difficult stuff like bringing you the newspaper or slippers...

Frieda is into hunting rabbits and squirrels, too. Every time a squirrel hops by the house, of course she wants to go out. Even if she can't see them, she can hear when they come by. I now take Frieda out four to five times a day, three short walks just to go peepees, one long walk that takes one-and-a-half or sometimes two hours, or sometimes just an hour if the wheather is bad, and one medium walk that takes half an hour to 45 minutes. Other than that, I'll only take her out when she really needs to go for doing you know what. She can do several tricks, and only one went wrong: Every time she got the newspaper for dh, she would get a piece of meat from a certain blue box. Now, every time someone opens that box, she will run to the door to see if there is a newspaper... LOL!

I'd say, find a walking schedule for the two of you that you are both happy with, and then don't give in to her wanting to go out at other times (unless you can tell she needs to go between the normal, scheduled walks - dogs will lick their mouths when they are in that kind of distress). Especially not if this means not being safe just because she wants to hunt rabbits. Like that she'll learn that there are rules and that you won't be "terrorised" by her in that way.

Don't think you're being too hard on her. Dogs actually like being given rules and schedules, and you shouldn't burden a dog with the role of "boss of the pack". Since we don't live in a wolf pack's world but in a human one, every dog is bound to be absolutely overstrained by that role, and that will lead to frustration, fear and insecurity, nervosity and those can cause further problems.

Just be firm but gentle. And only take her out when YOU decide it's time to go. A walk's on the schedule - decide to go. Sassy needs to go peepees unexpectedly - decide to go. Sassy just wants to hunt rabbits - decide not to go.

Hope that helps.

April said...

Most wine tastes like vinegar to me too! I rarely drink alcohol. I don't think it's bad or wrong per se; I just don't like the way it tastes at all. I don't drink soda either though. These days it's usually spring or mineral water or various hot teas. Changing habits is hard. I'm trying to stop eating sugar and it's giving me a heck of a time! So far, it's winning. I know how you feel: I don't like being "hooked" on something either. I've gotta take the power back from the sugar - lol...

Unknown said...

That can be frustrating, especially when it is so cold. Our dog was doing that too, and finally we had to put out a dog lead so we could just hook her up. You may not have that option though. I hope Sassy starts hurrying things up!

SchnauzerMom said...

Kati thanks for all the good advice, I'll look into it.

SchnauzerMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.