Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

I have to post early today because we will be spending all afternoon and evening at the park helping with the big 4th of July celebration that our church and another church in town are putting on. The rain yesterday didn't stop or hurt anything and today looks like a gorgeous day. Got sunscreen on and bug-spray nearby. I'll post photos of the celebration tomorrow.

My flowers are very happy with all the rain they got yesterday. I'll let them settle in a little more and then take photos of them.

Didn't get out of bed until after 8:30 this morning and spend the morning knitting. Now I'm surfing the 'Net and then we'll leave for the park.

I just realized the other day that I miss Scruffy much more than I miss my dad when he died. But then he was a very difficult person to live with. He had a very short temper and was angry most of the time. We were constantly stressed out worrying about when he would blow up. He never had a good word to say to us (by us I mean my mother, brother and myself). When he passed away it was like a great weight had been lifted from our shoulders. It's taken me a while to learn that I don't have to be on edge all the time, tip toeing around for fear of setting someone off. I don't know why he was that way. I did cry for him he was my dad after all but I don't miss him. What a sad legacy to leave behind, people who are relived when you die. But that's all in the past now, he died in 1992. It has taken us all a long time to unwind though. I still have nervous habits that DH points out to me from time to time. But I am much more relaxed then I ever was as a child. It's hard to be a child living in constant fear and dread. Makes me wonder sometimes about the home lives of the kids that I teach in Sunday School.

Photo of the day, they had a huge statue of Buffalo Bill at the Cowboy Hall of Fame.

Photobucket

No comments: