Sunday, July 27, 2008

Late Summer

and all the plants are starting to get brown around the edges and stressed out. By the end of August things get really brown around here. My cactus are happy, but then they're made of this type of climate and weather.

Wore a skirt today for the first time in weeks. I love skirts and dresses but have to get really motivated to wear them, not sure why. I do hate pantyhose. I noticed the style lately seems to be going without hose. But I don't like to wear shoes without some kind of sock or hose. I could just wear my sandals. I don't have to do a lot of walking at church because it's not our turn to lock up so they won't hurt my feet too much.

I bought an oven thermometer the other day. My oven runs about 25 degrees hotter than the dial says. If I set it on 350 the oven gets up to 375. That explains some things. At least now I now how to allow for it. No more burnt stuff.

Dh is thinking about going back to preaching again, making himself available to fill in when other pastors are on vacation. Not in our church, we have plenty who can fill in, but in some of the smaller churches around the area. He's an ordained minister and did pastor a church for a short while. We got discouraged and quit before the job was done. Pastoring a church is a tough, tough job. He isn't necessarily called to pastor though, but definitely to preach. Some people think if they're called to preach it means being a pastor of a church but not necessarily.

Photo of the day, another family photo. This was taken back in the 1930's. This is my Aunt Helen, my mom, my grandmother, Eunice and my grandfather, Bill.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Annie said...

I could never get anything to bake completely in the length of time the recipe said. It was really annoying to bake everything an extra 10 minutes or more to get it done. I finally bought a thermometer and found out my oven is about 20 degrees cooler. If I do a lot of baking, it'll finally reach its set temperature after about an hour. Dumb oven.

Unknown said...

That is a great idea about the oven thermometer. I have a very old oven, and it tends to run hot. I would love to know exactly how much hotter it is. Can you get one at any Wal Mart?

I didn't know that your hubby is an ordained minister! Yes, being a minister is a very tough job. I pray that things will go well for him as he is making himself available to preach again.

SchnauzerMom said...

You should be able to get a thermometer at any Wal-Mart, they're not very expensive.