We went to Rush Springs today to the Watermelon Festival. It's been years since we have gone to it. That last time was broiling hot but today was really nice with a nice breeze blowing. There were several vendors there selling crafts, pottery and so forth. DH bought a handmade leather billfold but I didn't find ANY watermelon earrings. Oh well. There was quite a crowd there, I think this is the 64th year that they have been doing this. We didn't buy any watermelon because there is no way that DH and I could eat a whole one, even a small one, before it went bad. They had a little carnival there with some rides. DH likes rides but I have motion sickness and can't ride unless I take pills for it. The last time I rode on a ride without pills was at the State Fair and I barely made if off before I threw up. Don't want to go through that again. We had a good time but it will probably be a few years before we go back again. There are some things that I like to go to year after year but this wasn't one of them. I did get some good photos.
DH bought a camcorder with our money from Uncle Sam but he hated it. It was really hard to learn to use. He followed the book word for word but things still didn't work right. So today we took it back to Walmart and exchanged it for a digital camera for me. I love my cute little camera. I'm anxious to go out and use it. The photos of the watermelon festival that I took today was on our old camera (which isn't very old). We both love to take photos. Now we have his and hers cameras.
Photos of the day from the watermelon festival. The first one is the biggest melon there at 139 pounds.

A view of the crowd and some of the vendors.

The place where they kept the winning melons.

Some of the rides.


4 comments:
Oh wow, those are some watermelons. We used to get huge watermelons in summer when we were kids. What a treat they used to be! We rarely have watermelon these days. They don't come very big in NZ - I'm not even sure if they're grown here or imported from overseas. Right now, my mouth is just watering for a slice of juicy melon. Mmmmmmmm.
I LOVE watermelon, but even I couldn't finish one of those huge ones - wow! The festival looked like a lot fun.
I love your pictures; that duck looks like it might be a muscovy duck; they are supposed to make nice pets - are very affectionate.
I might get one at the farm!
The festival looked like so much fun. Like Jules, it made me really want to go out and get some watermelon :). Yum!
A muscovy duck, so he is a real breed and not just a mixture of things. People dump out their pets that they don't want anymore at that park.
Post a Comment