Friday, August 8, 2008

Whew

I finally discovered what was bothering my innards and it's not gluten. Years ago the doc suggested that I take a fiber supplement and I've been doing that ever since. Well, about a month ago I switched to a different fiber supplement and that's when my troubles started. I was taking too much and have cut back now, feel much better. My stomach troubles started about 3 years ago when I went to the foot doc because of foot pain. He prescribed a pain reliever, napracen (not sure of the spelling), it's the same ingredient that's in Alieve only it was prescription strength. It tore my stomach up, the pain was extreme, at one point I seriously considered going to the emergency room. I took the stuff the way the label said, with a full glass of water, I also tried it with food but it made no difference so I quit taking it. But the damage had been done. I had recurring stomach pain and acid reflux. I was taking an acid reducer twice a day for quite a while. It is almost completely healed now. It's been several weeks since I've taken an acid reducer. I still have an occasional twinge of pain in the stomach but that is tapering off. I have no desire to go back to the gluten free diet. Now if the doc told me that I need to be on it that would be different. But, it's time to move on.

It rained most of the night, a nice gentle rain, loved it. I love hearing rain on the roof but this rain was so gentle it was hard to hear it. The flowers are happy for now. But it is hot and humid.

We went bike riding last night just around in our little neighborhood. We would have gone farther but there were thundershowers building up around us so we stayed close to home. It was a lot of fun though.

Tomorrow we are going to go to the Watermelon Festival at Rush Springs. It's been several years since we've gone to it. Obviously they have watermelon there but they also have arts and crafts and a few rides. I'll pass on the rides. I have motion sickness. I want to get some watermelon earrings.

Photo of the day, this is my great great grandfather, the father of the man in yesterday's photo.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jules said...

I wonder if the prescribed pain reliever was an anti-inflammatory as they can cause bleeding in the stomach. My surgeon refuses to prescribe them for that reason. It scares me when I see that they can now be bought over the counter for children and babies.

Glad you're sorting your problem out. Feeling not up to par is never much fun.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found what the trouble was! Hopefully from now on you will feel great!

The watermelon festival sounds like a lot of fun. I love watermelons! My laundry room is decorated in watermelons.

SchnauzerMom said...

Yes it was an anti inflammatory, it was supposed to help my feet. It didn't, it hurt my stomach instead. But things are healing up now.